Bats interrupt fashion show in Garrett ballroom

Joanna Williams

Two bats flew into the Garrett Conference Center ballroom halfway through the Black Student Alliance’s Rip the Runway fashion show, but the show went on.

The ballroom was transformed into a runway Thursday night for the seventh annual Rip the Runway show, and models strutted out in business attire, casual clothes, formal attire and summer swimsuit fashions.

The show was entirely student-run with the clothes donated by Dillard’s and Vanity, said BSA president Brittany Prather, a Henderson junior.

“It’s just a good show for the students to come out to,” she said. “And it gives us something to do.”

Midway through the show, two bats entered the ballroom and started flying close to the attendants, causing many people to scream and run. The chaos caused a ten minute delay in the show.

One bat was caught by trapping it on stage and closing a curtain on it. The other bat was killed by Nashville sophomore Luchi Lu, who struck the bat down with his sweater.

“I told them I was going to kill it,” he said afterwards, smiling.

Candice Adams, a junior from Louisville, helped organized the event and said she considered it a successful show.

“It went really well, besides the bat,” she said. “I thought our models did well. I’m excited!”

Louisville senior Brandyn Bailey provided music during an intermission. He said he has been in BSA for the past three years and Rip the Runway is special to him.

“Rip the Runway is my baby,” he said. “I used to be vice president and participated in it every year.”

Bethany Steinhaus, a freshman from Glasgow who modeled in the show, said she heard about it from another campus organization and decided to try out since she had done modeling when she was younger.

“I definitely love fashion,” she said. “This was great experience and I’ll do it again if I can next year.”