Career Services hosts Hire Attire, career fair

Jordan Pitney, a junior from Louisville, packs up his newly acquired business clothes. The Hire Attire Career Closet at Career Services takes donations from the community and gives them to students at WKU who need nicer clothing for job interviews. JOSH MAUSER/HERALD

Caitlin Carter

Students looking for jobs and internships at yesterday’s Career Expo shouldn’t have had any excuses for showing up to the event in a pair of jeans, Career Services Center officials said.

In preparation for the expo, Career Services opened up the Hire Attire Career Closet, Assistant Director Tess McKinley said.

Launched Oct. 12, the closet gives students an opportunity to pick up one free business outfit, McKinley said.

On Thursday, WKU students clad in business attire filed through the Carroll Knicely Conference Center for the 2010 Career Expo.

The expo contained more than 75 employment vendors, said Rob Unseld, associate director of Career Services.

The vendors covered a wide range of employers, including financial and pharmaceutical companies and higher education institutions, Unseld said.

“It’s a good representation of the current job market overall,” he said.

The expo is hosted in the fall and spring of each year, Unseld said.

Contrary to what most believe, the expo isn’t just for seniors preparing to graduate, Unseld said.

He said it’s also a good place for sophomores and juniors to look for internships and for freshmen to decide on a major they want to pursue.

“It’s a good place for undergraduates to get their feet wet,” Unseld said.

Unseld said students who attend the expo should make certain preparations.

First, students should make sure they’re knowledgable about what they want from the job they’re seeking, Unseld said. They may stop by Career Services for advice if needed.

Students should also come to the Career Expo confident, he said.

“They shouldn’t look down at the floor when talking to a prospective employer,” Unseld said.

Most important is that students should make sure they’re dressed for the job they want, he said.

Louisville junior Jordan Pitney, who selected an outfit from the closet Wednesday, said he loves how unique the event is.

“This is slick innovative,” Pitney said. “I’ve never seen or heard of any other school doing something like this.”

The closet has received many gently worn clothes from students, alumni and community members, McKinley said.

“The response is overwhelming,” McKinley said. “It’s great that they’re willing to give back to the students.”

She said that WKU administrators – including Howard Bailey, vice president for Student Affairs – have also come by and donated clothes.

Students, faculty and staff who want to donate don’t have to come by Career Services personally, she said. A representative will come to any on-campus location to pick up donations.