Concert held to raise money

Emily Salmon

Sylvia Kersenbaum’s red dress sparkled as she lit up the stage with “A Journey Through Beethoven’s Life” Sunday afternoon.

The recital, held in Van Meter Hall for about an hour, was performed before about 40 people to raise money for a scholarship in Kersenbaum’s name. It is sponsored by Delta Omicron sorority. The scholarship is given to a student studying music at Western.

In between the pieces, Kersenbaum, a piano professor, gave history on Beethoven’s life.

She explained that the five selections of music displayed the variety of Beethoven’s work. All five pieces represented a different mood.

The recital, which was part of a series that started in January 2003, drew both Western students and people from around the community.

Ruth Gilbert, a Bowling Green resident, heard about the recital in Downing University Center. She has heard Kersenbaum perform several times before, and also attended a performance of her original composition “The Masque of the Red Death.”

Elizabethtown sophomore Sarah Boling attended the recital and took a piano class from Kersenbaum one semester.

“She is doing a very good job today,” Boling said. “She is the most disciplined and dedicated pianist that I’ve ever met.”

So far, the recitals have raised $3,200 for the scholarship fund Kersenbaum said they are hoping to raise $10,000. The next recitals in the series will be March 14 and April 25.

As a whole, the series covers about two-thirds of Beethoven’s life. Throughout the recital, Kersenbaum’s passion for Beethoven shined through.

“He was always ahead of his time,” she said.

Reach Emily Salmon at [email protected].