SGA passes plan to adopt trees

Ashlee Clark

The Student Government Association may help give Western’s landscape a valentine.

An adopt-a-tree program passed by SGA last semester may begin this month, said Shawn Peavie, campus improvements committee chair.

SGA hasn’t advertised the program yet, but will send letters to campus organizations within the next few weeks, Peavie said.

SGA will pay half for as many as 20 trees provided by Facilities Management, Peavie said. Other campus organizations that want to participate in the program would pay the other half for the trees.

“This project will certainly help the university utilize its green space,” SGA President John Bradley said.

The trees cost about $100 each, Peavie said.

Bradley said the location of the trees would depend on where Facilities Management needs or wants them.

“We want to make sure we don’t put trees in an area where in a couple of years we know there’s going to be construction there,” he said.

Bradley said placing the trees bought by each organization near its office would be a good idea.

Abby Lovan, SGA vice president of public relations, said she has thought the adopt-a-tree program was a “great idea” since the legislation had its first reading on Nov. 18.

“It’s just one more thing we can do to help the university,” she said.

Bradley agreed.

“This is an opportunity for student government in coordination with other student groups to make the campus look pretty,” Bradley said.

Peavie said he hopes there will be a plaque to recognize the different organizations that participated in the program.

Reach Ashlee Clark at [email protected].