Small crowd enjoys Friedlander

Ashlee Clark

The audience barely filled a third of Garrett Ballroom at the FHM Comedy Fest Monday night.

But that didn’t prevent comedian Judah Friedlander from delivering a performance filled with commentary on daily life and past experiences to keep the small crowd laughing.

Friedlander, who appeared as the hug-giving protagonist in the Dave Matthews Band video for the song “Everyday,” was part of a 10-campus tour sponsored by FHM magazine and presented by the Campus Activities Board.

Friedlander was dressed in a white T-shirt, jeans and a trucker hat that proclaimed he was the “World Champion.” He interacted heavily with the crowd, commenting on the different majors and activities of those in attendance.

“I really like how he went back to the audience,” said Courtney Wright, a sophomore from Evansville, Ind.

Wright said he thought the event was under-publicized.

“I thought it was hilarious, but I wish more people had showed,” he said.

Lebanon senior Amanda Mattingly said she thought one of the best parts of the show was when Friedlander created possible nicknames of her and Lebanon senior Walter Ballard’s first names.

“I think it was really funny,” Mattingly said.

Ballard said he also thought Friedlander gave a great show.

“It’s been a while since I laughed that hard,” he said.

During the show, Friedlander discussed the many professions he claimed to have excelled in, including police officer, elementary school crossing guard, bullfighter and skydiver.

“I thought it was kind of ironic how he was so good at everything,” Ballard said.

The comedian also said he was going to run for president under the “Party” party.

“I don’t vote,” Friedlander said. “I bet on the election.”

Friedlander also localized many of his jokes, questioning the origins of the restaurant Toots and commenting on how it is possible to buy a wide variety of items at Wal-Mart, from underwear to a soccer ball to a gun.

“You really can buy anything at Wal-Mart,” he said.

Bowling Green senior Dewaker Dhandapana said Friedlander was the first comedian he had seen on campus.

“I would like to go for more,” he said.

Friedlander, who began doing comedy more than 12 years ago in Maryland, ended the show with a summary of what the audience learned – including the fact that he was a winner.

“When you have a winning attitude combined with an unbelievable capability, you are a winner,” Friedlander said.

Reach Ashlee Clark at [email protected].