Injured students released

Kandace Sebastian

It’s a different scene. Instead of a hospital room, Carlie B. Heath and Katie Nelsen were at home yesterday.

The two students hit by a car Tuesday on University Boulevard are out of the hospital and are recovering.

Heath, a Spottsville sophomore, and Nelsen, a Crestwood freshman, were taken to the Medical Center after being hit by a car driven by Melay Embers Nichols of Clarksville, Tenn., while they were crossing University Boulevard.

Nelson was released from the hospital Sunday night after having plastic surgery performed on her neck and chest.

“She is really upset that she got hit,” said Mary Nelsen, Katie’s mother. “Her life was going so perfect until this lady hit her, now she has to drop out of school for a while.”

Mary Nelson said her daughter pulled muscles and will have long term physical problems.

Mary Nelsen said the doctors do not know how long it will take for her daughter to recover, but she will return to Western.

Heath was reached yesterday but declined to comment.

At the time of the incident, Heath and Katie Nelson were walking in the crosswalk when the walk signal was on, the police report said.

According to the report, Nichols was driving at an estimated speed of 30 to 35 mph when the impact occurred.

Nichols was charged with driving under the influence and refusing a chemical test.

The report said that the odor of an alcohol was detected on or about Nichols. The report said she failed field sobriety tests.

Nichols was given blood and urine tests after a warrant was issued.

Based on observation, field tests and a preliminary breath test, Nichols was charged with a DUI, the report said.

Nichols was reached yesterday but declined to comment.

Campus police Capt. Mike Wallace said the results of the blood and urine tests have not been returned to campus police and may take as many as three months to become a public record.

Reach Kandace Sebastian at [email protected].