Football player drowns in fishing accident

Michael Casagrande

After a year of success and happines, the football family is now facing the tragic death of a player.

A Saturday fishing accident claimed the life of Trey McMiller, a freshman wide receiver from Apopka, Fla.

McMiller was on a fishing trip in Corbin with teammate Nate Jenkins when their canoe overturned. Jenkins escaped unharmed, but McMiller drowned in the accident.

Freshman receiver Karl Phillips was stunned when he heard the news after returning from a Western softball game.

“He was a good friend, like a brother,” Phillips said of his teammate.

Phillips said it still seemed “unreal” last night when he thought of his fallen friend.

The team met last night at 8 with coach David Elson and representatives from Student Affairs, according to Phillips. McMiller’s No. 81 jersey was on the stage as Elson and several players shared their memories of the promising young receiver.

Tears were shed and the atmosphere was “pretty intense,” Phillips recalled.

At the meeting, Elson told his players that he had spoken to McMiller’s family. Family members told Elson that Trey’s best days were spent at Western.

McMiller had seen limited action in his freshman season, making four catches for 60 yards.

However, with Elson’s new offensive scheme, McMiller was expected to have a much more important role when the season kicks off Aug 28 versus Union College.

In the Red-White scrimmage played April 26, McMiller played with the first-team offense, catching the only two passes completed by quarterback Casey Rooney, tallying 22 yards.

At presstime, funeral arrangements were incomplete. Information will be on wkuherald.com when it becomes available.

Reach Michael Casagrande at [email protected].