Conference USA reveals COVID-19 forfeit policies

Debra Murray

Jace Lux, WKU’s director of media relations and university spokesperson, explained that the university looks both to the CDC and its in-state peers to set COVID-19 policies.

Jake Moore, Sports Editor

Conference USA announced on Wednesday afternoon its policies for event cancellations in all sports for the 2021-22 season.

C-USA dictates if a team is unable to compete in a regular season conference game due to complications stemming from COVID-19, the team will be required to forfeit, and the game will count as a loss in the conference standings. The team on the other side of the forfeit will be awarded a victory in the conference standings.

The game will be deemed a no-contest if both teams are required to forfeit. The conference mentions that rescheduling events may be possible, circumstances permitting.

The move follows in the footsteps of other major conferences around the country. All Power Five conferences had previously announced COVID-19 forfeit policies and the NFL is taking the same approach for the 2021-22 season.

The policies are in affect as of Sept. 8, 2021 and will be active until the conference decides to rescind them.

WKU Athletics was able to confirm to the Herald that 75% of student-athletes and 88% of staff had received vaccinations as of Monday, Aug. 30.

Sports Editor Jake Moore can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @Charles_JMoore.