WKU lifts mask mandate after statement from CDC

WKU

Caboni added to his Facebook post that he’s thankful to have already received the COVID-19 vaccine, which he called the “strongest defense we have against infection, serious illness and hospitalization.”

Alexandria Anderson, News reporter

WKU President Timothy Caboni announced in an email Friday afternoon that WKU’s mask mandate will be lifted for all public spaces, except transportation services, in correlation with new CDC guidance.

The email explained that the decision was made after the CDC announced this afternoon that indoor mask guidelines will be loosened in places that have low or medium risk for COVID-19 outbreaks.

Caboni explained that positive COVID-19 cases have been declining rapidly in recent weeks, and that the number of positive cases at WKU has dropped by 96.9% since the beginning of the semester.

However, masks will continue to be required on WKU transportation services, in conjunction with the CDC’s order about mask guidelines for public transportation.

Masks will still be readily available for students. The email also stated that the Department of Environmental Health and Safety will be offering KN95 masks to members of the WKU community at no cost and to request a mask, email [email protected].

COVID-19 vaccinations, stated to be the most effective method of controlling COVID-19, are also still available at the Graves Gilbert Health Services Center on campus.

The email closed by stating that the WKU COVID-19 Task Force is continually monitoring the campus COVID-19 data and will make more adjustments to the Healthy on the Hill protocols if necessary.

“All members of the WKU Community should continue to engage in any safety measures they feel best protect themselves, including wearing masks in all settings if they so choose,” Caboni said in the email.

News reporter Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected]