SGA discusses 2022 goals at executive retreat

Bailey Reed, SGA Reporter

WKU’s Student Government Association held a formal retreat dinner for its executive team on Aug. 29 at the Cliff Todd Center.

Members of the SGA executive team were given the chance to socialize, connect and further discuss the goals on their agenda for the upcoming semester.

Those present included SGA President Cole Bornefeld, Administrative Vice President Sam Kurtz, Public Relations Director Preston Romanov, Speaker of the Senate Julie Mishchuk and others.

One of SGA’s current goals is to educate students on the resources that are available to them.

“We’re working on a resource guide of some sort for the students. Just a one-stop-shop kind of website, or brochure, or whatever it might be to show some things off campus,”  Bornefeld said.

In addition, SGA is looking to build a better represent WKU’s regional campuses. WKU has satellite campuses in Elizabethtown, Fort Knox, Glasgow, Owensboro and Somerset.

“We met with Dr. [Derick B.] Strode last week. He’s the director of regional campuses. That’s an area that I really don’t think SGA has ever touched,” Bornefeld said. “So really, we’re trying to do a better job of promoting SGA at the regional campuses and make sure they are benefitting from what we do here at SGA.”

SGA is also putting its focus on financial assistance this year.

“Everything really comes back to financial assistance for students. That’s kind of the big underlying goal,” Mishchuk said.

WKU’s SGA meets every Tuesday at 5 p.m. in Downing Student Union. All students are welcome. The first few meetings of the semester will focus on filling positions and establishing committees.

SGA has three freshman seats open, as well as one seat for a Gatton Academy student. The tentative dates for freshman elections are Sept. 12-13. SGA’s first meeting is this Tuesday.

SGA reporter Bailey Reed can be reached at [email protected].