Graves-Gilbert Clinic leaving campus

Herald Archives

WKU students can go to the Graves Gilbert Clinic on campus to receive free COVID-19 testing on campus.

Alexandria Anderson, Content Editor

Graves-Gilbert Clinic, which currently operates WKU Health Services, will be leaving campus effective Dec. 9.

The contract for operating WKU Health Services neared expiration in the spring. The Board of Regents will vote on a new contract before the end of the year, according to a statement from Jace Lux, director of media relations and university spokesperson.

“WKU issued a request for proposals (RFP) in the spring as the previous agreement to operate WKU Health Services neared expiration,” Lux said via email. “Contractual details are still being finalized, and we expect the Board of Regents to vote on a new contract for operations of the clinic prior to the end of this calendar year.”

Graves-Gilbert also announced their leaving in an email sent to patients sharing numerous locations for care off-campus.

The Herald filed an open records request for the contract between Graves-Gilbert and WKU, the contract between The Medical Center at Bowling Green and WKU and the request for proposals. This information will be added once it becomes available.

In 2016, a legal protest for WKU’s sports medicine complex was filed by Western Kentucky Orthopedics and Neurological Associates, claiming an unfair bidding process that favors Med Center Health. Western Kentucky Orthopedics and Neurological Associates is affiliated with Graves-Gilbert clinic. 

The Herald contacted Graves-Gilbert for a statement regarding leaving WKU Health Services and a connection to the 2016 legal protest but did not receive a response in time for publication.

A change in the operation of WKU Health Services brings questions about price increases or health insurance availability. Lux stated this would not be a problem.

“The change in clinic management will not affect health insurance plans or health care provider options available to WKU employees,” Lux said via email.

Content editor Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected].