WKU Men’s Basketball defeated by Louisiana Tech University


Tucker Covey

Redshirt junior shooting guard Dontaie Allen (11) makes an uncontested dunk during the matchup with FIU in E.A. Diddle Arena on Saturday, Jan. 14, 2023. WKU won 70-59.

Camden Bush

WKU Men’s Basketball fell in a tough battle against Louisiana Tech 86-74, Thursday, Jan.19. The Hilltoppers took the Bulldogs to overtime but couldn’t come away with a win. 

The loss for WKU made the Hilltoppers 11-8 on the year and 3-5 in conference play. The win brought Louisiana Tech to 11-8 on the year as well, but 4-4 in conference play. 

The game was one of streaks by each side. The Bulldogs claimed a victory after ending the game with an 11-0 streak in the overtime period. 

The Hilltoppers led by as many as twelve points in the second half, but were ultimately unable to hold onto the lead.

Senior Jamarion Sharp led the way for the Hilltoppers with 15 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks.

Redshirt junior guard Dontaie Allen was also a big contributor for the Hilltoppers off the bench. Allen put up 10 points on an efficient 4/6 from the field.

Louisiana Tech picked up the win despite only shooting six free throws and making three of them. Junior guard Cobe Williams was responsible for all of the team’s free throws as he tallied 20 total points on the night.

Louisiana Tech got off to a quick start, taking an 11-4 lead into the first media timeout. The Hilltoppers responded with a solid run in which they hit three straight three pointers to cut the deficit to 23-25. WKU then scored six more to cap off a 9-0 run and give the Hilltoppers a 29-25 lead. 

The Bulldogs responded with an 8-2 run to take a 33-31 lead. The Hilltoppers followed with a 6-2 run to end the half with a 37-35 lead.

Senior guard Jordan Rawls ended the half with a contested three-point buzzer-beater.

Louisiana Tech scored the first basket out of the halftime break, but the Hilltoppers followed with twelve unanswered points to take their largest lead of the game at 49-37.

The teams traded buckets up until the 13:34 mark when the Bulldogs began another run. Louisiana Tech went on an 11-0 run to take a 58-57 lead with just over ten minutes remaining in the second half.

WKU then failed to convert a field goal for over eight and a half minutes from the 13:34 mark to the 4:59 point of the second half.

The Hilltoppers and Bulldogs went back-and-forth over the next seven minutes, resulting in Louisiana Tech taking a 72-65 lead with 3:34 remaining. 

WKU responded with a huge 7-0 run to tie the game 72-72 with 1:11 remaining

Louisiana Tech then made a layup to take a 74-72 lead before junior guard Dayvion Mcknight got fouled and knocked down two free throws with nine seconds left to send the game to overtime. 

The overtime period did not go as planned for the Hilltoppers as they were outscored 11-0, and were handed the 85-74 loss.

Up next, the Hilltoppers will host Charlotte at 6 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 21 at E.A Diddle Arena.