WKU Football adds to roster and coaching staff

Brittany Fisher

Western Kentucky University football team steps onto Feix Field in Houchens-Smith Stadium before the 2021 homecoming game against the Charlotte 49ers on Oct. 30.

Camden Bush

WKU Football has made some big additions to the team this week by hiring a new running backs coach on Tuesday, Jan. 31 and signing ten new players Wednesday, Feb. 1.

The Hilltoppers hired Andre Crenshaw out of South Dakota State to become their new running backs coach. As the running backs coach of South Dakota State Crenshaw found a great amount of success.

Crenshaw helped lead South Dakota State to winning the FCS National Championship in 2022. In only two seasons at South Dakota State Crenshaw coached back-to-back over 1,400 yard rushers in 2021 and 2022. 

In his first season with South Dakota State, Crenshaw coached Pierre Strong Jr., who led the FCS in rushing with 1,686 yards. Strong went on to be selected by the New England Patriots in the fourth round of the 2022 NFL Draft. 

In addition to the coaching hiring, the Hilltoppers brought in some new talent on the field. Of the ten newcomers, five will be coming to WKU straight out of high school, while the other five will be transferring to WKU. 

One of the biggest additions of the group may be a familiar name to many Hilltopper fans. Sophomore quarterback Willie Taggart Jr., the son of former WKU quarterback and college football coach Willie Taggart, will be heading to WKU this season. 

Taggart Jr. began his career at Florida Atlantic where his dad was the head coach before being fired this offseason. 

Despite being let go by Florida Atlantic, Taggart Sr. has had a very prestigious head coaching career that began at WKU and has led to him spending time at South Florida, Florida Atlantic, Oregon and Florida State. 

In addition to Taggart, the Hilltoppers added linebacker Devon Lynch out of Shepherd,  linebacker Sebastian Benjamin out of Saint Francis, kicker Antonio Chadha out of Rutgers and tight end Elvin Fofanah out of Lindsey Wilson College through the transfer portal.

The players joining WKU out of high school include tight end Lofton Howard, who is from Bowling Green and went to Greenwood High School. 

Along with Howard, DL Ki’shawn Harvey out of North Carolina, DB Chavaris Dumas out of Florida, LB Reginald Allen Jr. out of Florida and TE Noah Meyers out of Trinity High School in Louisville, Kentucky will all be joining the Hilltoppers.

Sports reporter Camden Bush can be reached at [email protected]