‘We like to call ourselves a ‘film-ily’: WKU film department to host 28th annual film festival

Damon Stone, News reporter

The WKU film department will host its 28th annual WKU film festival, showcasing student works from the academic year. The festival begins Thursday, April 27 and ends on Sunday, April 30.

Tickets for the Thursday, Friday and Saturday screenings will be $5, with the senior thesis screening on Friday being $10. Alternatively, there is a $20 festival pass for those who want to see all screenings on all four nights. 

“There is a broad range of genres from fantasy, sci-fi, drama, horror, psychological thriller and many others,” Shaina Feldman, an instructor in the film program, said. “There’s something for everyone.” 

The seniors presenting at the festival have been working on their films for about a year, having started in May. The process for creating these films is similar to what is typically seen in Hollywood, with three phases: pre-production, which involves creating story ideas and pitching them, then production, which involves filming scenes with a camera, and finally, post-production, where the editing process happens. 

“There will be over 50 [short] films presented this weekend over the four day film festival,” Feldman said. “[…] Our younger students made films that range from three to five minutes, and our thesis films are anywhere from eight to 12 minutes.” 

The films will be shown at the Regal Cinemas on Thursday, April 27 in stadium 12  beginning at 7 p.m., showcasing works from second year BA and third year BFA students.

“Can you imagine showing your film at a movie theater?” Feldman said. “These students get the opportunity to do that. They’re actually going to the Regal Cinema, it’s impressive.” 

The works of second year BFA students will be shown on Friday, April 28 at 7 p.m. in Jody Richards Auditorium. The festival will also host films made by people all over campus, showing the works of those who aren’t in the film program, on Saturday, April 29 at 7 p.m. in Jody Richards Hall auditorium.

The films will be shown at Capitol Arts Center downtown on Sunday, April 30, showcasing work from BFA and BA seniors, with the red carpet beginning at 6 p.m., a guest appearance of Big Red and screenings beginning at 7 p.m. Following the showcase, a senior celebration will be held at One Roof. 

“I’d love to invite you to the film festival, and I hope you come and enjoy our films,” Feldman said. “It’s really important to us to connect with the community of Bowling Green; these films would not be possible without the collaboration between our community. At WKU Film, we like to call ourselves a ‘film-ily,’ and we just really want to celebrate this special time with Bowling Green, because they are what makes us possible.” 

Reporter Damon Stone can be reached at [email protected]