WKU pride organizations host ‘Pride on the Lawn’

Kayden Mulrooney
Maysn Hughes draws with chalk at Pride on the Lawn at Western Kentucky University on Sept. 7, 2023.

Students, staff and faculty members were welcomed by campus pride organizations to the South Lawn on Thursday, Sept. 7 for the annual Pride on the Lawn ice cream social.

The event featured tabling from various organizations that support LGBTQ+ life on campus. The Pride Center, Hilltopper Pride Network, Topper Pride Alumni, Out in Honors, the Queer Student Union and ISEC were some of the organizations present that provide resources for the LGBTQ+ community at WKU. 

Pride on the Lawn provided the chance for each group to share information about their involvement with campus and how interested students could join. 

“The event serves as an opportunity for members and allies of the WKU pride community to come together to learn about resources available on campus and to meet faculty, staff and students,” Anthony McAdoo, executive director for the WKU Alumni Association, said.

Shania Peerce, freshman social work major, said attending the event made her realize she would love to join some of the pride organizations on campus and encouraged others too also.

“Come join the people that care about you and want you to be happy on campus,” Peerce said.

The Queer Student Union at Western Kentucky University offers pride flags for students at Pride on the Lawn at Western Kentucky University on Sept. 7, 2023. (Kayden Mulrooney)

Those at the event could play bingo and cornhole, make bracelets and crafts and enjoy ice cream while meeting new people under the Alumni Tent.

“I love pride events like this. It’s always so nice to see people who I relate to,” Jade Mullins, a sophomore accounting major, said. 

The event provided a sense of community for students and represented the organizations as support systems for anyone who is looking for one.

Georgena Brackett, president of the WKU Alumni Association, said it is important for students to see others that look like them and can be supportive people for them.

“All the students represented here will be alumni. I want them to know they always have a home at WKU in the future,” Brackett said.

Students who are interested in getting involved with any of these organizations can find more information on Instagram @pridecenterwku, @wkutopperpride, @wkuisec, @qsuwku, @wkuhpn and @wkuoutinhonors.

News Reporter Ali Costellow can be reached at [email protected]