WKU Pride Center and ISEC host ‘Ballroom and Vogue’ event

Ali Costellow
Craig Williams, known in ballroom as Legendary Havoc Lanvin, hugs students Teresa Thomas and Ziah Anderson at the WKU Pride Center and Intercultural Student Engagement Center’s “Ballroom and Vogue” event.

The history and technique of ballroom vogue was taught to WKU students on Friday night.

Two members from the House of Lanvin came to speak to members of the Pride Center, the Intercultural Student Engagement Center and other students interested in ballroom vogue culture. 

The House of Lanvin is an internationally competitive ballroom house based in Columbus, OH and Atlanta, GA. It was formed in 2013 and was featured on the Max TV show “Legendary” in 2020.

The event began with Ronald G. Murray, known in ballroom as Icon Ron “DaDrama” Lanvin, teaching the attendees about the culture, history, various houses, influential people, fashion and slang of ballroom vogue. 

Ballroom vogue is an LGBTQ+, African-American and Latino oriented dance culture that became popular in queer clubs in the 1980s to oppose racism in drag queen pageant communities.

After the attendees of the event learned about the history, Craig Williams, known in ballroom as Legendary Havoc Lanvin, showed specific dance moves and taught participants how to “Vogue.”

The group learned a small choreographed routine made up of classic ballroom vogue moves and performed it at the end of the night. 

Ziah Anderson, a sophomore nursing major, loved participating in the experience.

“It got me out of my comfort zone, I had a lot of fun, and I got to connect with some people,” Anderson said.

Theresa Thomas, a sophomore marketing major, attended the event to learn more and be supportive of different communities.

Teresa Thomas, a sophomore marketing major, practices a dance at the “Ballroom and Vogue” event hosted by the WKU Pride Center and ISEC. (Ali Costellow)

“I wanted to get more information on [ballroom culture] because my best friend is a part of the LGBTQ+ community,” Thomas said. “I just wanted to educate myself so I can help educate her about other parts of the community she’s in.”

“Ballroom and Vogue” kicked off the Pride Center’s annual Pride Camp, which is held in October to celebrate LGBTQ+ History Month.

News reporter Ali Costellow can be reached at [email protected].