Philosophy Club hosts annual Cherry Hall ‘Dead Philosopher’s Haunted Tour’

Ali Costellow

Various students dressed as the ghosts of famous philosophers on Tuesday night to give mini-lectures to attendants of the “Dead Philosopher’s Haunted Tour” at Cherry Hall.

The tour has been hosted by the Philosophy Club every Halloween for the last several years. The event originated as a way for students to share their passion of philosophy with their peers and the public.  

“We’re trying to make philosophy fun, something they [the attendants] can learn fast [and] get a taste of,” Audrey Anton, professor of philosophy, said.

The Philosophy Club meets weekly to discuss philosophical ideas and content together. They host several events throughout the year and hope to start movie nights in the future.

Tour groups were escorted by two students from philosophy club dressed as Grim Reapers. These students guided attendants to various classrooms, each consisting of another student dressed as the ghost of a famous philosopher. Each student gave an in-character mini-lecture on the life and teachings of their chosen philosopher.

At the end of their speeches, attendants were able to ask the students questions and received candy before moving onto the next ghost philosopher in the tour rotation.

Journey Ford, senior philosophy and psychology major and president of Philosophy Club, said they had fun both orchestrating and performing in the event this year and was happy with the results.

Ali Costellow

“I wanted to take care of something, and this [event] is like the perfect one […] it’s a fun little production,” Ford said.

Christian Butterfield, junior creative writing and international affairs major, attended the event so he could write about it for his political science class.

“It was really engaging,” Butterfield said. “I’m not somebody who’s a philosophy major, but I’m like really interested in philosophy. So it was really nice to engage with philosophy outside the classroom.”

News reporter Ali Costellow can be reached at [email protected]