SGA approves four bills at weekly meeting

Preston Jenkins
WKU Student Government Association Senate members stand and say their oath as they are sworn into their new committees in the SGA chambers in Bowling Green, Ky. on Aug. 29, 2023.

SGA discussed bills to amend the SGA Constitution, provide funding for student organizations and sponsor two upcoming events Tuesday at their 10th meeting of the 23rd Senate.

Bill 4-23-F: A Bill to Amend the Constitution of the Student Government Association of Western Kentucky University would allow the SGA Constitution to be adjusted because of an inaccurate labeling of the title of the Intercultural Student Engagement senator. 

The bill was written by Salvador León, administrative vice president, and Guan Zhou Sim, international student senator.

Bill 5-23-F: Organizational Aid Funding Fall 2023 would allocate $10,000 to be extracted from the organizational aid budget to provide funds for several registered student organizations on campus. 

These include the Student Healthcare Association, Black Women of Western, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Alpha Iota, WKU Horticulture Club, Delta Sigma Pi, WKU Mock Trial, Spanish Club, Women in Science & Engineering, Beta Alpha Psi, Midnight on the Hill, American Institute of Architecture Students, Pre-Dental Society, Pre-Law Student Association, Potter College’s Dean Council of Students, American Medical Student Association, Hilltopper Organization of Latin American Students (HOLAS), Geology Club, MHC Alumni Ambassadors and Best Buddies. 

Each would receive $500 in funding to be used for organizational needs such as events, conferences, and merchandise. 

The bill was written by León.

Bill 7-23-F: Funding for the National Kindness Day Tabling Event would allocate $120 to be extracted from the legislative discretionary fund to sponsor tabling from the mental health and well-being committee on World Kindness Day. This will take place November 13 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

The funds would be used to purchase coffee, hot chocolate and donuts to distribute to students while tabling. 

Callison Padgett, mental health and well-being committee head, said the purpose of the event is to “uplift morale while bringing awareness to mental health” for students.

The authors of the bill are Padgett, Sophia Bryant, senator at large, and Thomas Pabin, senator at large.

Bill 8-23-F: Funding for the Veterans Day 5K event would allocate $600 to be extracted from the legislative discretionary fund to sponsor a race on November 15 from 4-6 p.m. at Kereiakes Park. The event will bring support to both the WKU ROTC and veterans in the local community. 

The funds would be used to sponsor decorations, cookout supplies, a 9th-generation iPad raffle and t-shirts for those who run in the race. 

Participants will pay a $15 fee to run and will be automatically entered into the raffle. The first 60 to arrive will receive a t-shirt.

Daniel Vuleta, battalion commander of the ROTC, spoke to the senate on his opinion of the bill.

“When I was approached with the bill, I thought it [the event] was a really good opportunity for us as a battalion to reach out and meet with other organizations, ” Vuleta said.

The bill was written by Annalise Finch, executive vice president, Ryan Dilts, senator at large, and Chloe Ralston, freshman senator.

All four pieces of legislation passed unanimously.

News reporter Ali Costellow can be reached at [email protected].