WKU Women’s Basketball defeats Vermont 62-50 in Gulf Coast Showcase

Sophomore+guard+Alexis+Mead+%283%29+on+defense+during+the+matchup+with+UTEP+in+E.A.+Diddle+Arena+on+Thursday%2C+March+2%2C+2023.+WKU+won+62-59.+
Sean McInnis
Sophomore guard Alexis Mead (3) on defense during the matchup with UTEP in E.A. Diddle Arena on Thursday, March 2, 2023. WKU won 62-59.

WKU Women’s Basketball defeated the University of Vermont 62-50 on Nov. 25. The game was the Lady Topper’s second contest in the Gulf Coast Showcase. 

The Lady Toppers took a quick lead, outscoring Vermont 15-6 in the first period. 

WKU never looked back after taking an early advantage. The Lady Toppers never trailed in their 12-point victory over the Catamounts. 

Vermont hung with WKU throughout the rest of the contest, outscoring the Lady Toppers by one in both the second and third periods. However, the early WKU lead was too much for the Catamounts to overcome. 

WKU shot much better from the field than Vermont did in the contest. This was especially evident from behind the three-point line. WKU shot 46.9 percent from the field and 47.1 percent from three, while Vermont shot 28.9 percent from the field and 14.3 percent from three. 

The Lady Toppers had some issues with turnovers as they turned it over 15 times throughout the contest. However, they were able to generate even more turnovers on the other side of the ball, as Vermont turned it over 16 times.

Sophomore Acacia Hayes led the Lady Toppers in scoring with 18 points. Hayes only shot 8-15 from the field to go along with three assists and two rebounds.

Sophomore Karris Allen put up 25 points for the Hilltoppers on an efficient 6-8 shooting performance to go along with seven rebounds. 

Junior Alexis Mead was another big contributor for WKU with a near triple double. Mead scored 11 points and gathered nine rebounds.

WKU now stands at 6-2 on the season, with their only losses coming to Vanderbilt and no. 16 Kansas St. 

The Lady Toppers will compete for fifth place in the Gulf Coast Showcase on Sunday in Estero, Florida. WKU will take on Purdue Fort Wayne at 12:30 p.m. CT.