Big Red Marching Band set to perform in the governor’s inaugural parade

The+WKU+Big+Red+Marching+Band+waits+to+perform+before+WKU%E2%80%99s+homecoming+game+against+New+Mexico+State+University+at+L.T+Smith+Stadium+in+Bowling+Green+on+Saturday%2C+Nov.+11%2C+2023.++The+band+performed+in+reelected+Gov.+Andy+Beshear%E2%80%99s+inaugural+parade+on+Tuesday%2C+Dec.+12.+
Dominic Di Palermo
The WKU Big Red Marching Band waits to perform before WKU’s homecoming game against New Mexico State University at L.T Smith Stadium in Bowling Green on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2023. The band performed in reelected Gov. Andy Beshear’s inaugural parade on Tuesday, Dec. 12.

The Big Red Marching Band will perform in reelected Gov. Andy Beshear’s inaugural parade on Tuesday, Dec. 12. 

The band has chosen to perform Kentucky marches, including “My Old Kentucky Home” and the WKU fight song. 

The band was specifically hand-picked by Beshear to perform, according to Director of Bands Gary Schallert. He said the band and faculty could not be more excited to participate. 

“I’m excited, it’s a huge honor to be singled out by the governor […] it shows how much of an impact we have on the entire state,” Will Klueh, freshman band member said.

The BRMB consists of 250 members and is now recognized as the largest and most diverse marching band in the entire state, according to assistant director of athletic bands, Scott Harris.

It is a well-respected organization and one that has impacted communities all across the Commonwealth. 

“I personally could not be prouder of our students and the tireless hours they put into the BRMB […] the organization truly represents the spirit of WKU,” Harris said. 

The band will be brought back to campus on Dec. 12 to officially travel to Frankfort for the parade. 

“Anytime we can represent our great university and community at a prestigious event such as the Governor’s Inaugural Parade, it is a tremendous honor for us,” Schallert said.

News Reporter Kaylee Hawkins can be reached at [email protected]