Dynamic Leadership Institute Spring 2024 applications open

Applications are now open for the Spring 2024 session of the Dynamic Leadership Institute, also known as DLI. 

Applications are due Friday, Feb. 9 and can be submitted online via the DLI website. Applications are available for students wishing to participate in DLI as well as students wishing to become a DLI Facilitator. 

DLI is designed to, “teach students the interpersonal skills and knowledge needed to engage in various leadership roles on campus, within the community, and in their futures,” according to the DLI website. 

DLI is of benefit to students who want to meet other students and consider their own characteristics and how they contribute to their unique leadership style,” Amelia Kolb, assistant director of leadership and volunteerism said. “Those who have graduated from DLI have also shared that this program is a great conversation topic in job interviews, which has helped set them apart from other candidates for a particular job.”

DLI is divided into four phases that students complete during their duration at WKU.

Each phase is a five-to-six week, 1 hour per week, commitment to complete DLI. DLI is not given for academic credit, and instead is an extracurricular activity. 

The Dynamic Leadership Institute is a good investment of time. Within each phase, students commit about 1-hour for five sessions over several weeks—in all, a student can complete one phase of DLI in five hours total,” Kolb said. “With this investment, students develop skills, meet new people, enhance their resume, and also receive a gift at the end of each phase. We also always provide our groups with food in at least one session per phase.”

DLI Phase I explores “leadership initiative” and is designed to enhance the participants’ leadership roles, skills and capabilities. Phase I will cover topics ranging from, “problem solving, diversity, leadership & management, personality and visual explorer,” as described on the DLI website.

DLI Phase II explores “leadership and self-exploration” that focus on the participant’s ability to express themselves as a leader. This phase allows students to understand how they work with others as well as, “discover their strengths and areas for improvement in regards to their personal leadership styles,” according to the DLI website. 

DLI Phase III explores “leadership in action,” and students get a more hands-on experience in this phase. Students will take what they learned in the first two phases of DLI and apply it to the third phase in order to develop a program or event after completing the Leadership Practice Inventory assessment. 

The final phase, DLI Phase IV, explores “leadership in the real world,” which prepares students to take what they’ve learned in a collegiate environment and apply it to become a professional and community leader. 

“A highlight for those who complete phase IV is the opportunity to attend an etiquette dinner (for free) at 440 Main downtown and also receive a stole to wear to graduation,” Kolb said.

All of these skills that can be applied in the college setting can transfer to life outside of college, whether it be in relationships, in the workplace, or in other community groups or organizations.

Students that wish to participate in DLI can apply here

Students that have completed all four phases of DLI and would like to apply to become a DLI Facilitator may apply here

“Being able to learn from one’s peer is a great opportunity for college students. Being a facilitator also offers additional leadership opportunities to teach concepts and lead a small group,” Kolb said. 

More information regarding DLI can be found on the WKU website, here. For further questions regarding DLI, please contact Amelia Kolb [email protected]

News Reporter Maggie Phelps can be reached at [email protected]