Queer Student Union to host ‘Whispers of the Garden’ prom

Provided by WKU QSU.

The WKU Queer Student Union will be hosting their third annual queer prom on April 21 from 7 to 11 p.m in DSU room 3020. 

Cassandra Wiley, junior double major in biology and the environmental, sustainability and geographic sciences program, is the QSU president and started the tradition in 2021 for LGBTQ+ students who were not able to attend their own high school proms.

This year’s theme is “Whispers of the Garden,” inspired by the “cottagecore” aesthetic, which according to Wiley, is “an aesthetic that lots of members in the LGBTQ+ community bond [over].”

The event does not have a formal dress code, making the event more accessible, and there is no entry fee, however, donations are accepted and encouraged. 

The prom will be open to all WKU students and allows for them to have a plus-one. If they are not a WKU student, they must have a valid form of ID with them. 

“This event serves to give members of the queer community the ‘universal experience’ of a traditional high school prom,” Wiley said. 

Wiley hopes that the prom inspires students to get involved and hopes that students can see that anyone can establish a tradition. 

“We have gotten funding from the Topper Pride Alumni Chapter (TPAC), the PCAL DEI committee and even donations from individuals. The people here at WKU want us to have what those before us could not have,” Wiley said. 

Any student that is interested in helping with or attending queer prom is welcome to do so. 

“At queer prom, you don’t have to feel like you’re looking over your shoulder if someone sees you being yourself,” Wiley said.

News Reporter Kaylee Hawkins can be reached at [email protected].