Furniture being moved out of Hilltopper Hall

Cameron Shaw
Employees for the Firemen Moving Company move furniture out of Hilltopper Hall and transport them to Zacharias Hall on Wednesday, June 12.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to correct incomplete information regarding the status of older dorm furniture and to include new information about the use of the furniture.

Furniture is being moved out of Hilltopper Hall and placed into other dorms.

The Firemen Moving Company, a Bowling Green based moving and transportation company, has been moving furniture out of Hilltopper Hall since last week.

The furniture is being moved into other dorms, like Zacharias and Meredith. The majority of furniture in both Zacharias and Meredith is being donated, with exceptions for any pieces that are “beyond repair,” Katie Corbin, assistant director of marketing and communications for WKU Housing and Residence Life, said in an email on Monday.

A worker for the Firemen Moving Company moves furniture from Hilltopper Hall into Zacharias Hall on Wednesday, June 12. (Cameron Shaw)

According to a social media post on May 21, WKU donated approximately 200 beds to Good Deeds KY, a non-profit organization that provides food, housing and furniture for those in need.

“Good Deeds ran out of beds and 2 weeks later WKU contacted us wanting to donate beds,” Good Deeds KY said in the post. “200 beds later our warehouse is full!”

Good Deeds said that they partnered with Parker Lord Corporation, a manufacturing corporation, and went door to door delivering household items to those in need.

“Toward the end of the delivery, we went up to an apartment that we realized didn’t have any furniture,” Good Deeds said in the post. “The family was sleeping on the floor and the only living room furniture was (a) plastic outdoor stackable chair.”

Saturday morning, living room furniture, beds and even toys were delivered, Good Deeds said.

In January, members of WKU’s Facilities Management team noticed some of the masonry work on the building had “shifted out of position,” according to an email sent to Hilltopper Hall residents on Jan. 18 from Catherine LaRoche, assistant vice president for student engagement and executive director for housing and residence life.

388 students were relocated following the hall’s closure. Students either moved into existing dorms or had to move off-campus.

Brent McAlister, a worker for the Firemen Moving Company, moves a chair from Hilltopper Hall into the company’s moving truck on Wednesday, June 12. (Cameron Shaw)

News reporter Cameron Shaw can be reached at [email protected].