Bassey and Hollingsworth named to All-C-USA teams

Charles Bassey (23) embraces head coach Rick Stansbury after defeating 15th-ranked Wisconsin in Diddle Arena Dec. 29 in Bowling Green. Bassey had 19 points and six rebounds in the win. 

Alec Jessie

Freshman center Charles Bassey and sophomore guard Taveion Hollingsworth both received All-Conference USA honors the league announced Monday. 

Hollingsworth and graduate transfer Desean Murray were picked on the preseason team for the Hilltoppers back in October. This is the second year in a row WKU has had multiple players on the all-conference teams. Justin Johnson and Darius Thompson were the headlines for WKU in 2018.

Bassey racked up several honors, landing on the All-C-USA First Team, C-USA All-Freshman Team and C-USA All-Defensive Team. 

The freshman center from Nigeria has had a stellar campaign for the Hilltoppers. Bassey leads the team in points per game (15), rebounds per game (9.9) and blocks (74). The freshman led the league with 15 double-doubles and tied the season record for C-USA Freshman of the Week honors with 10.

Bassey is the ninth freshman to be named to the All-C-USA First Team and first WKU freshman to be named to an all-conference team since 2012 (Derrick Gordon).

Bassey has more blocks by himself than 57 Division I teams and averaged 17.8 points, 10.4 rebounds, 2.6 blocks and 1.4 steals against notable stars Ethan Happ, Daniel Gafford, Tacko Fall, Sagaba Konate and Noah Dickerson.

Hollingsworth followed up his C-USA All-Freshman Team appearance last season with another honor in 2018-19. The Lexington native made his first appearance on the all-conference teams with a Third Team selection.

Hollingsworth was second on the team in points per game at 14.2. The sophomore also ranked second on the team in made 3-pointers (45), assists (73), and third in rebounds (141).

The conference will announce the speciality and individual awards later in the week.

The Hilltoppers (2) will take on the winner of Florida International (7) or North Texas (10) on Thursday night. Tip-off is slated for 8:30 p.m.

Men’s basketball reporter Alec Jessie can be reached at 270-745-6291 and [email protected]. Follow Alec on Twitter at @Alec_Jessie.