SGA passes bill to amend constitution

Authors of bill 2-19-S, Amanda Harder and Jayden Thomas, discuss questions asked by members of the Student Government Association during a meeting in Downing Student Union on Feb. 12, 2019.

Jack Dobbs

The Student Government Association approved a bill Tuesday to change an aspect of the SGA constitution. The bill would allow SGA senators to use tabling at a campus event as an alternative to office hours.

The bill was authored by Director of Public Relations Noah Moore, Public Relations Committee Chair Ashlynn Evans and Campus Improvements Committee Chair Matt Barr.

“In terms of outreach to the student body, this shows we are committed to helping students,” Moore said.

Because the bill aims to change an aspect of the SGA constitution, it must be voted on by the student body. Currently, SGA senators are required to spend one hour a week in the SGA office.

The bill was passed in a unanimous 33-to-0 vote.

SGA also approved five funding bills Tuesday, which allocates almost $4,000 to various campus activities and associations.

Bill 8-19-S was the first piece of legislation presented to SGA. This bill called for the allocation of $90 towards the Sustainability Committee to purchase supplies for their Earth Day celebration This bill was passed in a unanimous 33-to-0 vote.

The largest funding bill that was passed, Bill 9-19-S, allocated $2,160 spread among the Chinese Students and Scholars Association, International Association of Business Communicators, National Dance Education Organization, WKU Midnight on the Hill and Black Women of Western.

Bill 9-19-S was passed with a 33-to-0 vote as well.

One funding bill, Bill 13-19-S, concerns the establishment of a $500 scholarship for WKU’s Glasgow Campus. This bill passed with a 32-to-0 vote. Another $500 was allocated in Bill 14-19-S which sent the money towards the Sexual Assault Prevention Month kickoff, hosted by the Counseling and Testing Center. This bill was passed in a 32-to-1 vote.

SGA meets every Tuesday in the Student Senate Chambers in Downing Student Union.

Reporter Jack Dobbs can be reached at 270-745-0655 and [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @jackrdobbs.