Bassey named C-USA’s Defensive Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year

Freshman center, Charles Bassey makes his way down the court during WKU’s game against MTSU on Feb. 14.

Matt Stahl

Following a season in which he tied the Conference USA record for most Freshman of the Week awards, freshman center Charles Bassey was named the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year, C-USA announced on Tuesday.

The award is one of many honors that Bassey has garnered this season, as he was also named to C-USA’s All-Conference First Team and All-Freshman Team. He is also one of five finalists for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Center of the Year award.

Bassey has become the first WKU player to win an individual conference award since Chris Harrison-Docks was named Freshman of the Year in the Sun Belt Conference in 2013-14. Bassey is the first WKU conference defensive player of the year since Mike Wells in 2003-04, also in the Sun Belt.

Bassey has averaged 15 points, 9.9 rebounds and 2.4 blocks so far this season and leads the conference in double-doubles.

Bassey and the Hilltoppers will be back in action on Thursday, taking on either Florida International or North Texas in the quarterfinals of the C-USA Tournament.

Sports Editor Matt Stahl can be reached at 270-745-6291 and [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @mattstahl97.