Budget report to be released, Caboni asks for ‘continued patience’ as information comes out

WEB_20180208_cherryhall_nhuey_042.jpg

President Timothy Caboni said he has received the final report from the Budget Council and asks for time to address the recommendations given the “implications and magnitude of the reductions.”

In an email to faculty and staff, Caboni said the report will be presented at tomorrow’s Board of Regents meeting. He will also send a campus-wide email summarizing the actions that will be taken, and the council’s report will also be included in the email. 

The Budget Council was formed last August to determine how to address the university’s $15 million deficit. 

“I fully understand the level of concern and speculation that occurs when no information is made available immediately, but I respectfully request your continued patience,” he said in the email.”

However, he said tomorrow’s report will not provide a “full accounting of all the areas that will be affected by a $15 million budget reduction.” He said administrators will also need time to review the recommendations before deciding how and where to cut. 

Here’s the email in its entirety:

Colleagues:

I know there is growing concern and interest in the outcome of the Budget Council’s recommendations to reduce and stabilize our campus budget.  I received the final report from the group late Tuesday evening.  Given the implications and magnitude of the reductions, it’s imperative that I have time to address these recommendations thoughtfully.  The report will be presented at the Board of Regents meeting on Friday, at which time I will also send a campus-wide email to summarize the actions we will take.  The Budget Council’s report will be included in that campus message.  

We are making the Board of Regents meeting available for live viewing via YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/wkunews.  You can access the agenda materials at https://www.wku.edu/regents/.

I fully understand the level of concern and speculation that occurs when no information is made available immediately, but I respectfully request your continued patience.  Even tomorrow we will not be able to provide a full accounting of all the areas that will be affected by a $15 million budget reduction.  University administrators will also need time to review the recommendations and make thoughtful decisions as to how cuts in various divisions, colleges and departments will be managed.  The timeline for finalizing those decisions will be mid-March.  Of most importance to me will be how we work with employees who will be displaced as a result of the actions we must take, which is why it is critical that we manage this process carefully.  

Thank you for your patience and understanding.  

Best,

Timothy C. Caboni