SGA holds final meeting of 23rd Senate

Ali Costellow
Student Body President Sam Kurtz gives his final report to the 23rd senate at SGA’s weekly meeting on Tuesday, April 16 in the Senate Chamber. “I just want to thank every one of you for everything you’ve done for this organization this year,” Kurtz said. “It means a lot to me.”

WKU Student Government Association senators gave their last remarks to the Senate, Tuesday, April 17 at the 23rd meeting of the 23rd Senate. 

SGA did not have any legislation to vote on at the meeting, which allowed them to reflect on their achievements and time in the organization for the last year.

Sam Kurtz, student body president and student regent, encouraged the senators to continue to have the drive to help others on campus and thanked the Senate for their accomplishments within the organization.

“We’ve done a lot of great things this year,” Kurtz said during his final report of the year. “We’ve raised a lot of money for great causes, we’ve had a lot of events that have impacted a lot of people and we’ve really done what we’re always supposed to do, which is being for the students.”

SGA’s 23rd senate passed legislation, spent time organizing events, tabled around campus and created resolutions and initiatives to serve the student body throughout the last year.

“Y’all [the senators] did so much, more than I could have even imagined at the beginning of the year,” Annie Finch, executive vice president, said during her final report in her role. 

Salvador León, administrative vice president, said to the Senate that even if the legislation they pass isn’t always supported by others, it is important for senators to stand their ground in what they believe is best for the students.

“Whenever we’re passing legislation, some people may think what we’re doing is great, some people may think what we’re doing is completely wrong,” León said. “As long as you’re respectful to others and want to help the student body whenever you are in SGA, you’re doing the right thing.”

The first meeting of the newly-elected 24th Senate is Tuesday, April 23 at 5 p.m. in the Senate chambers in DSU. All students are welcome and encouraged by SGA to attend.

Assistant News Editor Ali Costellow can be reached at [email protected]