Study abroad office takes advising to students

Brooke Wright

WKU Study Abroad and Global Learning recently set up booths across campus to spread the word about opportunities to study in different countries and earn college credit.

These booths have been set up in the Environmental Science and Technology building as well as Jody Richards Hall with SAGL student representatives advising students who have any questions about studying abroad.

SAGL student representative president Linsey Boerrigter said these advising booths are more accessible to students across campus.

“The main purpose of the booths is to take advising to the students,” Boerrigter said.

Boerrigter also said the booths make it easier for students who have any questions about studying abroad and do not have time to come in for an advising appointment in the Honors College and International Center.

As of now, the study abroad office in HCIC room 1014 holds walk-in advising hours Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Student representatives will be there to help other students if they are struggling with something.

“The SAGL student representatives are students who studied abroad and are able to help guide others in the application process,” Boerrigter said. “Students come in a lot, and relationships are formed. Getting advice from peers really helps everything along.”

Krista Erickson, a study abroad advisor, also commented on the walk-in advising.

“Applying to study abroad doesn’t have to be a formal process,” she said. “Students can also check on other things whether it be questions they have about something or just helping them click that ‘apply now’ button on the website when they’ve decided they want to study abroad.”

SAGL also holds the study abroad fair in the fall semesters. Students are able to learn more about study abroad opportunities as well as financial assistance there.

“I think more students are getting the idea of involvement,” Boerrigter said. “More people are realizing that studying abroad is a great opportunity.”

Reporter Brooke Wright can be reached at (270)745-2655 and [email protected].