Garrett renovations aim to be ‘relevant’ to students

Nicole Ziege

The Student Government Association met with a planning committee to discuss ideas for the renovations to the Garrett Conference Center during its meeting Oct. 10.

John Burse, a member of the Garrett Conference Center Renovation Planning Committee, spoke at the meeting. Burse said he and the members of the committee hope to “transform” the Garrett Conference Center and make it “relevant” to the students on campus. Burse also said Garrett Conference Center would be renamed to “Garrett Hall.”

As to whether or not the Garrett Conference Center would be remodeled or torn down and then rebuilt, Burse said the committee was “in the middle of analysis.” He said the committee wants to “minimize the disruption of students as much as possible.”

The committee brought pictures of design spaces and had the members of the SGA Senate choose which design spaces they would want to see used in Garrett Hall.

The committee also brought in a “graffiti wall,” which they set up near the entrance to Panda Express earlier in the day and allowed students to write suggestions on for the renovations. Some of the ideas included adding a McDonald’s restaurant and gender-neutral bathrooms.

During SGA President Andi Dahmer’s executive report, Dahmer said she “failed to elect someone” and made an error in the number of senators that were meant to be appointed during the last senate meeting. She said that there are supposed to be 36 senators in total, but only 34 senators were elected.

Because of this error, Dahmer appointed freshman Jayden Thomas for the open senator position. Thomas, who is an international relations major, ran for a senator position during the fall election. He said he wanted to focus on diversity and inclusion.

“I hope that I can work with all of you to think of some great ideas for campus,” Thomas said in his appointment speech.

During the next senate meeting, SGA is expected to vote on four bills. The first bill is Bill 15-17-F, which proposes allocating over $1,400 from Organizational Aid Appropriations for the Physical Education Majors Club, National Association of Home Builders and Jump Rope Club.

The Senate is also expected to vote on Bill 16-17-F, which proposes allocating $200 from the Senate Discretionary fund to “support the Interfaith Workshop on Sustainability and Social Justice.”

The third bill is Bill 17-17-F, which proposes allocating $30 from the Senate Discretionary for the “promotion and implementation” of Mission: Thank You Veterans.

The Senate is also expected to vote on  Bill 18-17-F, which proposes allocating $1,840 from Organizational Aid Appropriations for the Student Affairs Graduate Association, American Institute for Architecture Students, Delta Sigma Theta and WKU Men’s Rugby Team.

Reporter Nicole Ziege can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]u.