Multiple shots fired near campus late Tuesday night

A gun was fired multiple times near campus late Tuesday night, according to witnesses.

Bowling Green Police Department public information officer Ronnie Ward said witnesses reported multiple shots being fired from a parking structure on WKU’s campus. Ward could not confirm which parking structure it was. Ward said witnesses also saw people running from the Registry apartments after the shots were fired.

Ward said the Bowling Green Police Department did not find any evidence of shots being fired and they have no names for possible suspects.

Louisville senior Kendall Piscitelli lives in building D at the Registry, and said he was in his apartment last night when he heard 4 to 5 shots fired.

“There was gunshots… What else could it have been?” Piscitelli said. “Pretty much I was 100 percent positive.”

Piscitelli said he and his roommates went out onto their balcony but didn’t see anything. He said his neighbors saw someone running near campus, but didn’t know if it was related.

Piscitelli said the WKU Police Department and Bowling Green Police Department then arrived at the Registry and began looking near the train tracks.

“You could smell the gunpowder in the air,” Piscitelli said. “It was strong.”

Piscitelli said he later received a text from the Registry saying that “the incident did not involve the Registry.”

Owensboro senior Krista Newton also lives in building D at the Registry, and said she was getting ready to go to sleep last night around 11 p.m. when she heard three gunshots. Newton said she lives at the end of the building closest to the road.

“It literally sounded like it was right outside my window,” Newton said.

Newton said she had “no doubt about it…it was gunshots.”

Newton said she called 911 and a few minutes later, police arrived at the apartment complex. Newton said she also saw officers from the WKU Police Department searching on University Boulevard.

The Herald will update this story as more information is known.

News editor Monica Kast can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @monica_kast. Reporter Cameron Coyle can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]