Letter to the Editor: You too can study abroad

Andrew Henderson

LETTER FROM CARYN LINDSAY

Yes, you can study abroad!

I often overhear students talking about study abroad in Fresh Foods, in hallways and during events and the conversations end with, “That’s nice, but I can’t afford it,” or “I don’t have the time,” or “It will delay graduation.” If that is you, then I am here to tell you that you are wrong!

WKU and the Study Abroad and Global Learning office, otherwise known as SAGL, is committed to helping you turn “I can’t …” into “I CAN!”

In anticipation of the Study Abroad Majors and Minors Fair on Sept. 14, we are pleased to announce our latest way to help with study abroad costs: SAGL Passport Funding.

The first 100 Pell Grant eligible students each year who apply to study abroad will receive $100 to help pay for their passport, which is valid for 10 years! This is in addition to regular financial aid, the World Topper Scholarship, up to $1,000 and perhaps a Diversity Abroad Grant.

Additionally, most departments and colleges have study abroad scholarships. Study abroad is more affordable than you think! In total, WKU invests over of $250,000 annually to support your study abroad dreams!

Ready to get started? Join us for the Study Abroad Majors and Minors Fair on Wednesday, Sept. 14 from 11 to 2 p.m. in the Preston Center. You can talk with returned students, faculty program leaders and the many partners who work to make sure you have a safe, once in a lifetime, educational experience.

Check it out! There are also free t-shirts for the first 500 students in attendance.