REECER’S PIECE: WKU deserves a sellout against Vandy

John Reecer is the sports editor of the College Heights Herald during the spring 2016 semester.

John Reecer

If you are a student who lives on or around campus, you should be at the game on Saturday when the Hilltoppers take on Vanderbilt University.

I sympathize with those of you who can’t make it due to unfortunate or reasonable circumstances. However, the excuse of “I have to do homework” or “I’m going home this weekend” just isn’t going to cut it.

An actual SEC opponent is coming to play the Toppers in Bowling Green in a football game.

If you had told me that six or seven years ago when WKU had a 26-game losing streak, I would’ve said you were crazy.

I understand if you hate sports and can’t appreciate just how far this football program has come. That’s perfectly understandable.

So don’t not go to the game because you hate sports. Instead, go to the game because you love your school.

Whether you like it or not, college football is beneficial for universities in a number of ways. That benefit cannot be achieved if the stands aren’t being filled for home games.

The amount of time, money and dedication that has been put toward WKU’s football program over the past few years has been substantial.

Now that the program has built up enough national respect to host an opponent from the most prestigious football conference in the country, it’s time for Toppers fans to answer the call.

Smith Stadium should experience not only a sellout on Saturday, but the attendance of this game should rival that of the all-time record at WKU: 23,252 people.

Now this burden just doesn’t fall on WKU students, but it also falls on the community of Bowling Green as well. More than 60,000 people live in this city, and I would venture to say that nowhere near 25 percent of those people show up to football games.

Before the last few years, people had an excuse for not coming to the games because Topper football was embarrassingly bad.

Now the program is proudly impressive, and it deserves sellouts every home game. What better way to start this trend than with an afternoon game against an SEC opponent?

Football games at WKU are actually enjoyable even if you don’t like the sport. Good music, good friends and good food are always in play at every WKU football event as the school has tried numerous different ways to make games a great time for fans.

What more does it take for the community of WKU and Bowling Green to come out to games?

The mere fact the football program launched a literal campaign this week to try and sellout Smith Stadium should be embarrassing to Topper fans.

This team is talented enough to where it shouldn’t have to ask for a sellout because a sellout should already be expected.

Start a change with this perfect opportunity and give these athletes a much deserved sellout.

Oh, and if you are one of those disappointed UK football fans, you should come to the game as well so you can watch a real football team play.

Just don’t wear blue.

Reporter John Reecer can be reached at 270-745-6291 and [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @Reece_12_Falcon.