WKU football hosts Red and White Showcase

Dominic Di Palermo
Quarterback Tucker Parks (11), left, runs the ball during the Red & White Spring Showcase at L.T Smith Stadium in Bowling Green on Saturday, April 20, 2024.

WKU Football hosted the 2024 Red & White Showcase on Saturday, April 20 at Houchens-Smith Stadium. 

The offense sported an all-red look while the defense wore white with black bottoms.  Quarterbacks and special teams players wore black tops.  Unlike last year’s spring game, this one was touch football instead of tackle.  Stats were not recorded for the scrimmage. 

“It was a good spring game. It’s always good. The Tops won today, so that was good,” WKU Head Coach Tyson Helton said. “It was great. Everybody got to play and the fans got to see what they’ll see during the season.” 

Texas State transfer TJ Finley started things off for the game by throwing a rifle on his first pass, finding senior wide receiver Dalvin Smith.  Sophomore kicker Lucas Carneiro ended that drive with a 41-yard field goal.   

Redshirt-sophomore Caden Veltkamp had two touchdown throws on the day, one to Smith and the other to senior receiver Jaleel Walker, who caught his other touchdown from redshirt-sophomore Turner Helton.  Sophomore receiver Easton Messer caught a touchdown from Finley, and Helton ended the showcase with a score to senior receiver Denzil Alleyne.   

Senior running back Elijah Young earned the Spring Offensive MVP honor, while junior defensive back Upton Stout and senior defensive back Anthony Johnson Jr. earned Spring Co-Defensive MVPs.  Sophomore wide receiver KD Hutchinson was named Spring Offensive Most Improved Player and junior defensive lineman Dallas Walker was named Spring Defensive Most Improved Player. 

“I really like our football team coming out of spring,” Tyson Helton said. “We still have a lot of competition in a lot of areas that throughout the summer and fall camp we’ll have to see, but overall it was a good spring and a good showing today.” 

The Hilltoppers will kick off the 2024 regular season in Tuscaloosa against Alabama on Aug, 31.