WKU softball sweeps MTSU

Ian Pitchford
WKU Softball junior Randi Drinnon (7), swings at a pitch during WKU’s matchup against Northern Illinois University on Sunday, March 3, 2024 at the WKU Softball Complex. WKU won 11-2.

WKU Softball swept Middle Tenessee State University in a three game series April 19-21 at the WKU Softball Complex

WKU has an overall record of 28-16-1.

Game one

WKU defeated MTSU 6-2 in the first matchup of the weekend.

The game was scoreless until the fifth inning when WKU put up four runs.

Fifth year infielder TJ Webster singled to drive senior utility Kelsey Schmidt home for the first Hilltopper run.

Fifth year infielder Taylor Sanders popped up to center field which sent Webster home.

Redshirt junior catcher and utility Cheyanne Sales homered to left field and sent Webster in for another run.

After a MTSU run in the top of the sixth, WKU responded with two runs.

Fifth year outfielder Brylee Hage singled up the middle which drove Schmidt home. To follow, Webster singled again to drive sophomore utility Kaytlan Kemp home for WKU’s sixth run.

MTSU grabbed another run in the seventh but were unable to fully respond to WKU’s lead.

Fifth year pitcher Katie Gardner pitched all seven innings with three hits, two runs and seven strikeouts.

Game two

The Hilltoppers won the second game of the weekend against MTSU 4-2.

WKU was first to score with a doble from Sales which drove Webster home.

After a MSTU run in the third, Sanders doubled to right center which sent Webster in for another WKU run in the fifth.

In the sixth, Hage singled to advance freshman infielder Morgan Sharpe home.

Later in the inning, Webster singled which sent Hage in for WKU’s fourth run.

Redshirt junior pitcher Kelsie Houchens threw for three innings with four hits, two runs and three strikeouts.

Freshman pitcher Rylan Smith pitched the remaining four innings with two hits and five strikeouts.

Game three

WKU secured the series win 3-0 on Sunday over MTSU.

In the second, the Hilltoppers put up all three runs in one play. Sanders doubled to right field which sent Webster, Hage and fifth year infielder Sophie Weber home.

MTSU did not respond which led to the third WKU win of the weekend.

Gardner pitched all seven innings with only two hits. She also threw five strikeouts.

The Hilltoppers will take on Jacksonville State University on April 26 in Jacksonville, Alabama.

Sports reporter Molly St. Clair can be reached at [email protected].