Buffalo point guard Lamonte Bearden willl transfer to WKU

WKU lost to Marshall University with a score of 96-93 on Feb. 13. The Hilltoppers finished this game with a record of 12-13 and 4-8 in conference this season. Lex Selig/HERALD

John Reecer

According to a report from Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com, University at Buffalo point guard Lamonte Bearden will transfer to WKU and play for new Head Coach Rick Stansbury.

Bearden will have to sit out the 2016-17 season, but he will have two years of eligibility left to play for the Hilltoppers starting with the 2017-18 season.

Last season, Bearden averaged 13.7 points per game and 4.2 assists per game – both team highs. He also helped to lead the Bulls to back-to-back Mid-American Conference Championships the past two seasons.

In the 2016 NCAA Tournament, Bearden scored 19 points while adding three assists and three rebounds in a seven-point, first-round loss against the University of Miami Hurricanes.

Bearden’s team was the underdog in the matchup as they were a 14 seed and the Hurricanes were a three seed in the tournament.

In February, Bearden was suspended for three games for “conduct detrimental to the team” according to The Spectrum, the student publication of the University at Buffalo.

The 6-foot-3 160-pound point guard is originally from Milwaukee, Wisc. where he was considered by some scouting services a three-star player.