Highly touted transfer chooses Kansas over WKU

WKU lost to Marshall University with a score of 96-93 on Feb. 13. The Hilltoppers finished this game with a record of 12-13 and 4-8 in conference this season. Lex Selig/HERALD

John Reecer

Mississippi State transfer Malik Newman told ESPN on Friday that he would be transferring to University of Kansas to play for Bill Self and company.

Newman chose Kansas over WKU and the University of Oregon as both schools were finalists for the coveted sophomore. He will be eligible to play for the Jayhawks in the 2017-2018 season. 

At Mississippi State, the shooting guard averaged 11.3 points per game in 29 games. Newman was also a consensus five-star prospect and the highest ranked shooting guard in his class when as a high school recruit in 2015. 

Newman had declared for the NBA Draft after the season ended, but he reconsidered his decision and decided to transfer from Mississippi State instead.

As a Jackson, Miss., native Newman won four state championships in high school and was twice named Mr. Basketball in the state as he averaged 29.8 points, 5.7 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game his senior year in high school.

Previously this week, class of 2017 consensus five-star prospect Mitchell Robinson committed to WKU as he become one of the highest ranked recruits to choose the Hilltoppers in the history of the program.

Robinson had previously committed to Texas A&M where WKU Head Coach Rick Stansbury was previously an assistant coach. 

It was also announced this week that class of 2017 consensus four-star prospect Galen Alexander had WKU in his final seven schools he is considering to play for.

The 6-6, 215-pound small forward is ranked as the 63rd overall player in the class and the 15th best small forward. 

Alexander is from Breaux Bridge, Louisiana and is also considering the University of Arizona, Louisiana State University, Texas Christian University, North Carolina State University, the University of Memphis and Marquette University.