WKU 4×100 meter relay team advances at NCAA Championships

During the Men’s 100 Meter Dash, WKU senior Ja’Karyus Redwine, right, finished in 6th with the time of 10.77 seconds at the Hilltopper Relay Meet at Charles M. Rueter Track and Field Complex on Saturday, April 9, 2016. Weston Kenney/HERALD 

John Reecer

WKU’s 4×100 meter relay team broke the school record of 39.18 seconds on the first day of the NCAA Championships on Wednesday as the team advanced to the semifinals with a fifth-place finish.

The team consists of juniors Kyree King, Ventavius Sears, Emmanuel Dasor and sophomore Julius Morris. They all four earned First Team All-American honors Wednesday as they set a new school record time of 38.85 seconds

WKU and the University of Houston are the only non-power five schools to make the finals where they will go up against teams from the SEC, the Big 12, the ACC and the Pac-12. 

“I’m very proud of this group,” Head Coach Erik Jenkins said in a press release. “They have competed at a very high level today and we look forward to the opportunity to compete again on Friday.”

The 4×100 meter relay team will compete in the finals on Friday at 7:32 p.m. CT.

Morris and King also gave notable performances in the 200 meter dash on Wednesday as they both earned Second Team All-American honors. 

King also clocked a time of 10.36 seconds in the 100 meter dash on his way to a 17th place finish which earned him Honorable Mention All-American.

Other athletes on the track and field team enjoyed strong days at the national championships as well. 

Senior Tomas Guerra ended his career The Hill with an 11th place finish in the javelin off an effort of 70.34 meters. The throw was good enough to earn Second Team All-American Honors as Guerra finishes his career at WKU as a four-time All-American.

Tomas and his brother Ignacio (2011-12) have now given WKU an All-American javelin thrower in six-consecutive seasons.

“Tomas has done an amazing job for us the last four years,” Jenkins said in a press release. “The Guerra brothers have earned six consecutive All-American honors and that is quite an accomplishment!” 

Graduate student Vincent Wyatt earned 18th place finish after recording a time of 13.84 seconds in the 110 meter hurdles. Freshman Maor Seged finished his first NCAA Championship appearance by placing 22nd in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 53.69 seconds. 

Both performances earned each athlete Honorable Mention All-American honors. 

The 4×400 relay team of senior Ja’Karyus Redwine, Dasor, King and Sears turned in an Honorable Mention All-American performance after clocking a time of 3:07.71 seconds and finishing in 18th place.

On Friday, Freshman Keenon Laine will be the first-ever Hilltopper to participate in the high jump competition. The event is set to start at approximately 7 p.m. CT.