Spring game important for Tops

John Reecer

Saturday’s Red and White spring game for the WKU football team will be the most important spring game the team has seen in some time.

This exhibition will give fans their first glimpse of life after Brandon Doughty, as the current quarterback competition is still ongoing.

Head Coach Jeff Brohm recently told 790 KRD that redshirt senior Nelson Fishback would start the spring game at the quarterback position.

However, expect all four of the players in the quarterback competition to see plenty of time on he field on Saturday as that has been case for most of spring practice so far.

Redshirt junior quarterback Mike White is hot on Fishback’s heels in the competition, and graduate student Tyler Ferguson and redshirt sophomore Drew Eckels aren’t too far behind either.

For the sake of the team as a whole, one of these players need to make a splash on Saturday with a great performance while displaying a clear understanding of the offense.

This game is a great opportunity for teammates to start putting their trust in one quarterback, which is something that needs to happen rather soon. This trust can be easily earned with a stellar showing.

The quarterbacks are not the only reason why this showcase is important, as fans will be treated to a new-look Hilltoppers defense.

Highly touted graduate student linebacker Keith Brown and graduate student Nick Dawson-Brents will be making their debut for the team as they both transferred from the University of Louisville during the offseason.

This game is also important because with the Hilltoppers coming off such a successful season, fans will be looking for the team to be able to sustain that success this coming season.

Look for redshirt senior running back Anthony Wales and senior wide receiver Taywan Taylor to give plenty of electrifying plays on offense to satisfy fans on Saturday afternoon.