Hilltoppers blank Tennessee on the road

WKU’s catcher Ty Hogan cheers after tagging out a player during the top of the 9th inning in the double header against Youngstown State University on Saturday Feb. 20, 2016 at Nick Denes Field in Bowling Green, Ky. Shaban Athuman/HERALD

Sam Porter

The WKU baseball team got back on track Tuesday night against the University of Tennessee after being swept at Jacksonville State this weekend. The Hilltoppers blanked the Volunteers 6-0 in Knoxville to improve to 8-4 on the season. The win also makes the Hilltoppers 2-0 against Southeastern Conference opponents on the season.

After both teams went scoreless in the first inning, sophomore infielder Steven Kraft made the game’s first big play from the plate. The Gainesville, Virginia native’s RBI double brought home junior outfielder Zach Janes for WKU’s first run of the game.

Soon after, redshirt junior infielder Thomas Peter hit a ball to left field that scored Kraft, putting WKU up 2-0 after two innings.

After senior pitcher Josh Bartley pitched another scoreless inning, the Hilltoppers struck again in the third.

A Volunteer error allowed the Hilltoppers to extend the lead to 3-0. Kraft hit a ball to centerfield that scored freshman infielder Steven DiPuglia to make the score 4-0 after three.

Sophomore pitcher Logan Weins came in to replace Bartley and didn’t dissapoint. The Frankton, Indiana native pitched five scoreless innings and allowed only four hits.

Redshirt sophomore Harrison Scanlon had a huge night at the plate for the Hilltoppers. Scanlon had a career-high four hits, including an RBI in the bottom of the sixth inning which extended the Hilltopper lead to 5-0.

It wasn’t until the bottom of the eighth that the Hilltoppers got their final run. Junior outfielder Paul Murray’s hit into the gap allowed Scanlon to score, giving the Hilltoppers a 6-0 lead. Redshirt junior pitcher Kevin Elder came in to close at the mound for the Hilltoppers en route to a 6-0 victory.

The Hilltoppers will next host Albany (4-6) for a three game series that begins Friday.