ICSR ‘Imagining Otherwise’ Video Contest seeks to show a better world

Samantha Wright

WKU students are attempting to show a better world in 90 seconds or less.

The Institute for Citizenship and Social Responsibility is hosting a video contest called “Imagining Otherwise” in which students are encouraged to show a more equal and better world in a 30-second to 90-second video.

There are three categories: local, national and global. A prize will be awarded to the winner of each category. First place is awarded a $100 certificate redeemable at the WKU Bookstore.

The videos can be made by a single person or a group. The participant must be a WKU student enrolled in the fall 2015 semester and must turn in the submission form along with the video. 

Scarlette Briones, graduate assistant for ICSR, said the contest is important because it shows current issues in a more creative way.

“The contest is important because we’ve got a lot of issues going on, and I think it’s a great platform — a different type of platform — for students to talk about those issues in a more creative way,” Briones said.

Briones added she hopes the video will incite students to take action on these issues.

“We’re hoping that later on, it would inspire projects on the campus to maybe start combatting those issues,” Briones said. “Even though it’s a contest, it might spark interest in a future project, and maybe because something like this [is] going on, who knows? We might solve poverty in the area or something.”

Briones said this contest also shows what issues are important to students.

“We want people to talk about issues. We want to know what is important to students on campus, especially, because we want our WKU students to be expressive,” Briones said.

Senior Kate McElroy, a Bowling Green native who is minoring in citizenship and social justice, said in an email interview that students should participate in this contest because it allows students to act as advocates.

“Students should participate in the ‘Imagining Otherwise’ contest because it allows them to advocate for themselves and for others,” McElroy said. “This is a creative and engaging way to make sure one’s voice is heard.”

McElroy added that it’s a great opportunity.

“For those passionate about their rights this seems like an amazing opportunity,” McElroy said.

Judy Rohrer, the director of ICSR, said the institute believes students will participate to help create change.

“We think students will participate because they want to be part of making change,” Rohrer said. “They know that old methods are no longer working.”

Rohrer added that student imagination is a key part to change.

“They know if we can’t imagine otherwise, we will never get there,” Rohrer said.

Rohrer added that this contest shows WKU’s support of students’ creative abilities as well as their ability to create change.

“This contest puts WKU on the map as a university that values students, that wants to support their creativity, that believes they can be change agents,” Rohrer said.

The deadline to turn in the video is Monday, Nov. 9, by midnight.

Winners of the contest will be announced in a ceremony on Thursday, Nov. 12, from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in Downing Student Union room 2124. The winning videos will also be shown at the event.