Students share costume plans for Saturday

Cora Lee, junior, from La Grange decided on dressing up as a ladybug this Halloween. Lee chose this costume in honor of her grandmother. “My grandmother always called me her ladybug when I was kid,” Lee said. Madihah Abri/HERALD

Brittiny Moore

A recent Huffington Post article, “The Most Popular Halloween Costume in Every State,” named the scarecrow as Kentucky’s costume of choice.

The data was collected by Google analysts who kept track of Halloween costume search queries from Sept. 8 to Oct. 8.

While the Huffington Post claims 2015 is Kentucky’s year of the scarecrow, there may not be any hay and patchwork overalls in Bowling Green on All Hallows’ Eve.

Some WKU students have different costume plans in mind.

“That’s actually really surprising,” Cora Lee, a junior from La Grange, said. “I’ve never been a scarecrow.” 

Lee is planning on spreading her wings and transforming into a ladybug this Halloween. 

“I have always loved ladybugs,” Lee said. “My grandmother called me that before she passed away, and now I actually get to be one.”

While Lee is excited for this year’s costume, her all-time favorite costume is one she wore last year when she became Captain America.

“A lot of time was put into that costume, and it came out great,” Lee said.

Brian Edmonds, a sophomore from Hopkinsville, has decided to channel his inner child and dress as Waldo this year.

Edmonds said he chose Waldo “because he’s tall like me, and I love stripes.” Edmonds added, “I picked the costume because I already have some of the clothes for the outfit.”

Costumes that require less time and little money seem to be popular on campus. Edmonds says last year he created a costume straight from his wardrobe.

“My favorite, I believe, has to be the lumberjack — partly because I didn’t have to pay a dime,” Edmonds said. “I had all the lumberjack-ish clothing in my wardrobe, and I pulled it off.”

Louisville sophomore Megan Dowdell is also looking to keep her Halloween attire cheap and simple by dressing up as a baseball player.

“[I will] probably be a baseball player this year,” Dowdell said. “I already own everything I need but a jersey.”

Other students have decided to get into the Halloween spirit by channeling their favorite characters of televisions shows and movies. 

Smiths Grove senior Dakota Compton is transforming into the character Eddie from “Rocky Horror Picture Show.” 

“I love going to ‘Rocky Horror’,” Compton said. “Even though I may not get to go [this year], I would still love to dress up like I am.”

Whether there are students in flannel and patchwork overalls or not, there’s still sure to be a nightmare to two lurking through the streets this Saturday.