Campus Activities to host stress-relieving events

Andrew Henderson

As students begin to prepare for finals, the Campus Activities Board is gearing up to send the semester off with a boom.

CAB will host their annual CAB-OOM event on May 7 at South Lawn. CAB Special Events Chair and Nashville senior Megan Dunn said the theme of this year’s CAB-OOM is a carnival, and students can expect to see “a little bit of everything.” Events range from an obstacle course, a bungee run, a dunk tank, a mechanical bull, a climbing wall and many more activities.

“It’s a way to let loose and have fun,” Dunn said. 

One of the main attractions is sure to be a free fall platform, which students can jump from at heights of 11 or 22 feet before landing safely on an inflatable bed below. Students participating in this activity will be required to sign a liability form as they are “literally free falling from a platform” Dunn said.  

Murfreesboro junior and Public Relations Chair Amanda Trail Cruz said CAB was unable to host the event last year due to budget cuts and changes within the organization. She said she was disappointed they couldn’t hold the event last year, but assures this year’s CAB-OOM will be fun and exciting.  

“This is basically a big stress relief for students,” Trail-Cruz said. 

This vision to bring back CAB-OOM was also shared by Evansville senior and CAB President Kamilah Champion. Champion said she hopes the event serves as a good stress reliever for students as opportunities range from eating food from Chaney’s Dairy Barn to interacting with animals in a petting zoo. She said she hopes for students to not only have fun at CAB-OOM, but to also get a little more out of it as well. 

“Our line is, ‘We make the moments,’ so hopefully this is a moment that seniors, freshmen who are just now experiencing this will just take away a good memory,” Champion said.

Dunn said she was very excited to see where this year’s CAB-OOM goes as she put a lot of effort into organizing the event. She said the event offers something for everyone from music, to food and to games. 

“It’s a little bit of fun for everybody no matter what you like to do,” Dunn said. 

CAB is also sponsoring their Paint U concert following the end of CAB-OOM. 

“Paint U is basically a big paint party on South Lawn,” Champion said. 

Champion said this is the first year CAB will be hosting this event, and it’s something the organization hasn’t done before. Students will be able to dance to music played by two disk jockeys and be covered in bright neon paints. She said students who attend CAB-OOM can pick up a white T-shirt and then have it tie-dyed at Paint U. 

“We just hope we have a good turn-out. We hope it doesn’t rain. We just hope students enjoy it,” Champion said. 

CAB-OOM will be Thursday, from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. on South Lawn. Paint U will begin the same day at 9 p.m. and end at midnight and will also be held on South Lawn.