Greek life welcomes new sorority

Trey Crumbie

After a process that began in September, a new sorority will join the WKU Greek community this coming fall.

Delta Zeta sorority will come to WKU after being approved by the WKU Panhellenic Council. Delta Zeta beat out Alpha Sigma Tau and Gamma Phi Beta sororities, all of which gave presentations on why they wanted to have a local chapter at WKU last month.

According to its website, Delta Zeta’s purpose is to “unite its members in the bonds of sincere and lasting friendship, to stimulate one another in the pursuit of knowledge, to promote the moral and social culture of its members, and to develop plans for guidance and unity in action.” 

Alex Kennedy, coordinator for Greek Affairs, said recruitment for the sorority will begin during MASTER Plan, a program that occurs the week before the fall semester starts to help residential freshman get acclimated to college life.

Kennedy said officers will be elected or appointed within the sorority itself, but a sorority national volunteer may facilitate the process.

Delta Zeta will be the ninth sorority in the WKU Panhellenic Association and the 15th sorority overall on WKU’s campus. 

Within the WKU Panhellenic Association, there is a concept called “total” which is the average chapter size. Sororities are encouraged to reach the “total”, which is 147 for this semester. Kennedy said Delta Zeta will try to reach “total,” but will not be held to that standard as it is still new.

Charley Pride, director of Student Activities, said he hopes the new sorority helps with student retention and  development. 

“If you can get them involved, they stay here,” he said. “They make a connection, they become leaders, they become involved. All of that comes together.”

Kennedy said the Greek community has been very interested in the new sorority coming to campus.

“Overwhelming the community is nothing but positive,” she said.

Mandi Evans, director of Membership Services for Delta Zeta’s national organization, said the sorority has had its eye on WKU for a long time and is looking forward becoming apart of the community.

“We hope to provide an opportunity for women who may not have had the sorority experience,” she said.”  

Kennedy echoed Evans thoughts on Delta Zeta offering a unique sorority experience for women.

“Being a founding sister to a brand new chapter can be a very exciting thing and it’s a great honor,” she said.

For those interesting in joining Delta Zeta, contact Kennedy at 270-745-2459 or [email protected].