Hilltoppers to perform ‘The Marriage of Figaro’

During dress rehearsal Tuesday night, Dylan Wright, a sophomore from Frankfort, plays the character Figaro and Hadley Rouse, a sophomore from Owensboro, acts as Cherubino. “The Marriage of Figaro,” Mozart’s comic masterpiece, runs March 27-29 in WKU’s Van Meter Hall. The Friday and Saturday shows are at 8pm and the Sunday matinee is at 3pm. Tickets are $18 for adults and $15 for students. Ashley Cooper/HERALD

Lashana Harney

It is the day of craziness. 

That’s how Frankfort sophomore Dylan Wright describes “The Marriage of Figaro,” WKU’s upcoming production.

“‘The Marriage of Figaro’ is a show that’s synonymous for the day of craziness and it’s all kind of drama,” Wright, who plays Figaro, said.

WKU’s departments of Music and Theatre & Dance co-produced “The Marriage of Figaro,” a comic opera written by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Waynesburg junior Abigail White, who plays Susanna, describes the production as “a giant scheming game.” 

“I think it’s a comedy with a little dash of the drama,” White said.

Julie Pride, publicist for the Theatre & Dance department, said the show follows the marriage day of Figaro, the head of Count Almavira’s household.

After months of rehearsals, the production will debut Friday and will continue throughout the weekend. Friday and Saturday the show will begin at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. in Van Meter Auditorium. 

“It’s been a journey,” Wright said. “…It’s been one of the most fun things that I’ve done since I’ve been at Western.” 

Tickets are priced at $18 for adults and $15 for students.

Pride said although the production is classified as an opera, it doesn’t quite fit the stereotype. 

“The word opera is very intimidating because you picture some big lady with horns screeching for hours,” Pride said. “This is a very moderate version. We set it in 1915, so the costumes that you will see are very similar to what you might see on ‘Downtown Abbey.’”

Another factor setting the production apart from other opera counterparts is the spoken dialogue. Pride said the show is also in English whereas “The Marriage of Figaro” is originally written in Italian. 

“It’s closer to a musical than you might think,” she said. “In fact, a lot of the cast is calling it a ‘mopera’, a musical opera.”

Pride said the main goal of the show is to entertain, but at the same time it is a learning experience for everyone involved. 

“It’s interesting in academia because the performance is sort of the byproduct,” Pride said. “We put on these productions so our students learn how to put on a production in the real world… It’s a great, great learning ground.” 

White said she would love to have a full house, but regardless the cast plans to give the performance their all. 

“It will be a wonderful performance and audiences will really enjoy it,” she said. “I think they will like the flavor. It’s super crazy, but at the same time there are little moments of peace and quiet.”