Swimmer files hazing allegation (UPDATED)

Collin Craig alleges members of the WKU swim team forced him to drink alcohol multiple times throughout the fall 2014 semester.

Herald staff

A former WKU student filed an incident report to the Bowling Green police involving members of the WKU swim team.

Collin Craig, who attended WKU as a freshman from Meadow Vista, California during the fall 2014 semester, alleges that members of the swim team forced him to drink alcohol, assaulted him and hazed him multiple times throughout last semester. Craig himself was a member of the swim team.

The complaint was filed on Jan. 6 via email. The incidents reportedly took place off-campus, according to the report.

Ronnie Ward, public information officer for the Bowling Green Police Department, said the investigation is in its infancy.

“The allegations are that there was some abuse from some swim team members from WKU to this person and we really don’t know what the truth is right at this point in time,” he said.

Ward said a detective is assigned to the case and no arrests have been made.

Bob Skipper, director of Media Relations, said once the BGPD investigation is complete, the case will be turned over to the appropriate university officials.

According to the WKU Student Code of Conduct, hazing is defined as “any action, physical abuse or creation of a situation which recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health of a participant by any person.”

Forced consumption of liquor is explicitly stated as a form hazing in the policy.  

Craig was 18 at the time of the alleged hazing, well below the legal drinking age. 

Skipper said WKU takes hazing allegations very seriously.

“It’s not something we want to have on our campus, so we want to get to the bottom of the situation, find out exactly what the facts are and take appropriate action from there,” he said.

Skipper said that there have been a few isolated incidents in the past, but nothing on this scale.

Multiple calls to Craig’s California home were not returned. Craig was majoring in biology and planned on attending medical school following graduation, according to his removed online swim team biography.

The Herald will update this story as more information becomes available.