SGA discusses parking, selects Homecoming nominee

Lashana Harney

Solutions to the parking and transportation affairs surrounding campus were offered in the Student Government Association meeting on Tuesday night.

Campus Improvements Committee Chair Tyler Scaff said the commuter focus group that met last week has proposed various solutions to the persisting parking issues.

One solution includes an addition to the existing iWKU phone application.

“We are interested in creating or integrating an app function into the iWKU app to inform students of availability in each individual parking lot,” Scaff said. “So, in other words, on my phone I would see a list of all of the parking lots on campus and each one would have a number indicating how many number of spots are available at that time.”

Other proposed solutions were South Campus Park and Ride.

Scaff said the committee is working on other projects such as the SGA garden plot at the Office of Sustainability, the installation of handicapped doors and the addition of sand volleyball courts on campus.

Bill 6-14-F, Funding for Study Away Scholarships, passed with no debate. This bill allocates $1,200 from the Academic Affairs Committee funding to provide the creation of additional scholarships for students applying for Study Away.

Academic Affairs Committee Chair Joshua Knight said Study Away differs from Study Abroad in that students receive a scholarship to travel throughout the United States.

“We funded the study away scholarships last year with the same amount, $1,200,” Knight said. “Me and my community thought it would be fair to do the same this year since they did use all of our funding last year.”

SGA also voted Director of Public Relations KJ Hall as the 2014 Homecoming nominee and swore in newly elected senators during the meeting.