Fraternity celebrates life of brother

Bearing the flag of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, Nashville freshman Clark Robbins leads Sig Ep brothers and a variety of sorority members down College Heights Boulevard during a march in memory of Cory Beavin on Sunday. Beavin was killed in a collision with a drunk driver shortly after fall 2013 recruitment. William Kolb/HERALD

Whitney Allen

The brothers of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity gathered on Sunday to celebrate the life of brother Cory Beavin.

Beavin passed away last September in a car accident in his hometown of Owensboro.

The fraternity chapter and other friends of Beavin walked from the fraternity house on College Street to Centennial Mall, each carrying a red rose — the fraternal flower.

Chapter president and Nashville junior Jonny Garcia addressed the small crowd before the walk began. Garcia reminded those in attendance that their purpose was to celebrate Beavin’s life, rather than mourn his death. 

Beavin was in the process of becoming a new member of Sigma Phi Epsilon at the time of his death, with only a month under his belt in the fraternity.

Despite his short time in the fraternity, Beavin left his mark on the chapter.

Members shared some of their favorite memories of Beavin.

Frankfort sophomore Daniel Banks noted Beavin’s favorite band was Alabama and described it to be “beautifully ironic” because the fraternal song, “Dixieland Delight,” is sung by Alabama.

After placing red roses around Centennial Mall, the brothers wrapped their arms around one another and sang “Dixieland Delight.”

Garcia described Beavin as a thoughtful person. 

“He was one of the most eager new members we had, he wanted to get involved with everything,” Garcia said. “He was very enthusiastic about his pledge class.” 

Sig Ep faculty advisor, and self-described honorary brother of Sig Ep, David Serafini attended the memorial. Not only is Serafini the advisor for the fraternity, but also had Beavin as a student in class.  

“It meant as much to me as it did to the brothers of this chapter,” Serafini said. “Cory was one of my students and a member of the Western family.” 

Garcia said it was impactful to see the Greek community come together for Beavin.

“No matter the letters, we are all Greek together,” he said

The chapter will be placing a brick on the walkway between Northeast and Southwest in honor of Beavin.