ICYMI: Update over summer news

Trey Crumbie

John All survives fall: Geology professor John All survived a 70-foot fall down a crevasse in the Himalayas in May. All, who documented his climb out of the crevasse and his rescue via social media, received international media attention.

New Gatton Academy Director: Lynette Breedlove was named as the replacement for Tim Gott, who became principal of Palmetto Scholars Academy, as Gatton’s director in May. Breedlove is the second director of the academy. 

New Director of Recruitment and Admissions: Jace Lux was named director of Recruitment and Admissions in June. Lux, former forensics director, is responsible for developing and implementing recruitment programs to achieve the university’s enrollment goals.

• WKU is chosen as new host for CCSA: In July, the Cooperative Center for Study Abroad chose WKU as it’s new host for the next four years. The CCSA is an organization made up of several colleges and universities that coordinate Study Abroad trips in English-speaking countries.

New University Registrar: Tiffany Robinson, university registrar, replaced Freida Eggleton, who retired after 28 years. Robinson started on Aug. 4. The university registrar has multiple responsibilities, including producing the annual undergraduate catalog, course registration and grade submissions and changes. 

Roundabout opens: The roundabout that connects U.S. 31-W, Loving Way and University Boulevard opened on Aug. 8 after months of construction. The goal of the roundabout is to reduce traffic congestion and accidents in the area.

1355 Kentucky St. Apartments open: The WKU Apartments on 1355 Kentucky St. opened for juniors, seniors and graduate students on Aug. 11. There are 95 two-bedroom units and 32 one-bedroom units. The $19.5 million apartment complex addresses the high housing demand for students.