CAB-OOM canceled due to lack of funds

Trey Crumbie

Students looking to unwind before finals week will need to come up with another method to do so because CAB-OOM, an annual event sponsored by the Campus Activity Board that brings a carnival atmosphere to WKU, has been canceled due to a lack of money. 

Charley Pride, director of Student Activities, said the amount of money left in CAB’s budget would only have paid for a scaled-down version of the event. Pride said CAB decided not to hold the event at all, as a smaller version would not hold students’ interest.

Previous CAB-OOM events have featured a rock climbing wall, inflatables, a net jungle gym and free food such as hamburgers and funnel cakes. The event would have taken place on May 1 and been held from Grise lawn to South Lawn. This would have been the fourth year for the event. 

Evansville, Ind., junior Kamilah Champion, president of CAB, said the amount of money spent on CAB-OOM varies, but it is usually between $15,000 and $20,000.

Champion said she was disappointed that the event was canceled this year, but she plans for next year’s event to be much bigger. 

“We had a fairly good plan for this past semester, but hopefully next spring we can just really put those [sic.] into place and have a really big turnout and have different things everywhere on campus for people to enjoy,” she said.